So, many of you may or my not know yet that our house is expecting a baby. I have put off sharing our news with many because of our many losses in recent history. I am now close to 13 weeks along (my due date is 21 December 2010) and the baby is still kicking and has a nice strong heartbeat.
I went in to the doctor today to have an ultrsound done. The heartbeat was a strong 174 and I saw the munchkin kicking it's little legs around. At the ultrasound however, the doctor broke the news to me that the baby had what is called "gastroschisis" which basically means that it's bowels are outside of it's belly and the baby will need to have surgery when it is born to replace them back into the abdomen.
Yes, I am a bit nervous about the whole situation, but from the reading I have been doing on the subject, things look pretty good. The hardest part for me is knowing that when I get home from the hospital after delivery, I won't be bringing the baby with me right away.
I found this website that is one family's experience with the same situation; it has a few different pictures as well. gastroscisis.net
I know that I can get through all of this, especially with all the love and support I have from my family and friends. Thank you to everone who is there for me, you have no idea how much it means. I'm just taking it all in stride, one day at a time.
Lord we pray that you touch this little one and bridgett and heal this child in her mother womb so they wont' need the surgery. IN JESUS NAME. Amen! Thank you Lord.
ReplyDeleteBoy, you sure have had a time with this next child you have so desired! I pray the baby is healthy and very very amazing! A gift to your family, just like all your kids!
ReplyDeleteUnfortuneatly, surgery is always needed for this problem. It starts with a hernia next to the umbilical cord and it needs to be repaired within hours up to a couple of weeks after delivery, depending on the individual situation. The main concerns of the diagnosis is not the surgery, but the feeding issues afterwards. The baby will be in the hospital for a minimun of a few weeks up to a few months after it is born and can eat and gain weight at home.
ReplyDeleteI got a mail from my mom about your baby. I'm very sorry about your loss. I totally don't understand. I'm very sad for you and your whole family. I pray you are able to receive rest and comfort. I'm sure I have no other words to say except I love you and I send you a hug. You are a really great mom, your baby would have been blessed in your home.
ReplyDelete