Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

It is down right freezing! The temperature outside this morning when I put the kids on the bus was a whopping 9 degrees with the wind chill. On top of that, there is nearly no moisture in the air at all and so Mr. Winter has decided to take away all of mine. This has been especially true since I have been washing my hands constantly while baking and cleaning. We aren't supposed to get any moisture until the weekend.

Today Jade and I made christmas wreath cookies and lime sprtiz cookies. The wreaths were very easy, but sticky. They are made just like rice crispy treats, just with corn flakes and green food coloring, then decorated with red hots. They come out pretty, but you have to work with them quickly. As for the spritz cookies, they are like almost any other spritz cookie, but the recipe calls for a package of lime gelatin mixed in when you cream the sugar and butter. They come out a very light shade of green and a hint of lime flavor. Tomorrow we will try two or three more cookie recipes.

This last week has been busy. Hannah came down with strep throat but is healing fast with her medication. Chris and I went in the doctor's office to start testing. I've been working hard to keep up with the housework that never seems to be done. In between cleaning tasks I made out my Christmas cards and got them into the mail. On Saturday, we took the kids to a Christmas parade after which Hannah accepted her award for her essay.

This week will be busy as well. Lots and lots of baking to get done by this weekend so I have samples to be tasted this weekend. Along with baking comes lots of dishes and kitchen cleaning. Zennek has a Christmas program that the whole kindergarten will participate in on Thursday night. Hannah has a farewell sleepover this weekend for a friend that is moving. I am also busy crocheting blankets for the kids and sewing pajamas for them as well. I don't have a deadline on their blankets but I am hoping to get their PJs done for Christmas Eve. Then, sometime this week, I am hoping to get out and do my Christmas shopping. I just haven't had the chance to go yet.

That's about all that is going on around the Ewing household. I think it's more than enough to do at one time. If anyone has any cookie recipes for some "pretty" cookies, I would greatly appreciate them. I need some nicer looking cookies because I am baking for someone else to give to people at work.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your keeping warm.
    The cookies sound good.
    PJ's for Christmas we use to do that.
    Your a busy gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tired and I'm just reading your blog... I am inspired to make reef cookies this weekend. I think my neighbors will get a kick out of them. I hope I can see you at Christmas. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Family and Friends