Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 3

I'm on day 3 of being gluten free. So far I've had the best beef stew I've ever eaten, (I'm a little biased, as I made it) lots of fruit, some tasty apple cinnamon rice snacks, some vegetable chips (TERRA exotic vegetable chips, Mediterranean flavor) which I think are my new favorite snack, some yogurt, more beef stew with a side of brown rice, and (as we like to call them around here)shish-ka-franks with  side of a great wild rice blend made with beef stock. I'm taking this whole gluten free thing as a challenge. So far, I am winning, and I like that. The next step is to come up with a grocery list (that I can eat) on a budget. I have two days to work on it, but it is going to take some time to fenagle (of course I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but oh well.)

I am very proud of myself. I am a carb-aholic and this is a very difficult task to give it up cold turkey. I stopped by GoodWill ysterday and searching long and hard through the cookbook section, I was lucky enough to find (and pruchase) the one and only gluten free cookbook they had available. I'm sure that there will be moe of these in my future, but one is fine for now, at least I have a place to start. My biggest challenge is starting my pantry storage over from scratch. There are many great alternatives to using rehular flour, but none of them are cheap, so getting a pantry of staples is going to take me a while.

Tonight, I think we are going to have baked potatoes with all kinds of toppings. I can't wait! I am so proud of myself!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go. Boy that meal sounds better than carbs. What a good idea the Goodwill for the cookbooks, I bet your library has some too.

    If your ever in Millwakee, Oregon near the portland airport Bobs red mill has a bulk food section. They even have the plastic bags for you to fill the items needed. It's a lot cheaper than the pre package stuff.

    I'm so glad you found out the problem and now are working on the solution. Yea!

    I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Listen, Bridget, Happy Easter to you and that gorgeous brood of yours! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Family and Friends