I am thrilled to have an answer, and not just that but one answer that covers each and everyone of my ailments. I honestly can't believe that it is such a simple thing. Yes, it is simple, on paper, but it is going to be a lot more difficult than it sounds. Gluten is in so many things that a person wouldn't believe it.
Another thing I have learned is that it is genetic. So for those of you (especially those related to me) who have GI issues, it is a good idea to get tested for it. Evidently, celiac disease can cause chrone's disease, type 1 diabetes, colon cancer in some untreated cases, and many other things.
I am going to have a hard time with switchng my diet over to gluten free, but I know I can. There are many things that I already love that are gluten free such as rice and potatoes. There are of course many foods that I will no longer be able to eat such as most breads, pastas, and many sneaky things like licorice, and many others. A gluten-free diet is very healthy so I'm sure I'll benefit from that, but it will take a LOT of effort. I even have to be careful of many pharmecuticals and cosmetics because a large portion of them contain gluten as binders.
From here I have to g to a Gastroenterologist. They may or may not do a biopsy on my small intestine to 100% confirm the diagnosis. According to the rhuematologist I saw yesterday my bloodwork indicated a highly positive result so it may not even be neccessary for the biopsy. So, we'll see what they say. In the mean time I hav to stick with my regular eating habbits so that if they choose to biopsy, then they have normal results instead of recovoring ones.
I am not always the best at describing things, so here are few websites that may better explain things.
I know that ther will be many things that I am going to miss, especially pie, I love pie. I'm trying hard to look at thi whole thing as a new adventure. I get to try all kinds of new things and learn to find new favorite recipes. Wish me luck!



Many people put their Autistic kids on a GFCF diet. For this reason you can find super cook books on GFCF cooking. You can also find good pre made food, cereals , cookies and bread. Jessica was GFCF for 5 years. She is not celiac but had a bad gut. I would have your kids checked for this too. It could cause hyper activity and attention issues.
ReplyDeleteBob Red Mill has very good GFCF stuff. You can find their stuff at Fred Myers or order it on the internet.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad they figured out what is going on inside you. I have a few friends with celiac. They have been able to eat out at most restaurants too. It's just a matter of letting the servers know what you have to avoid. I was also going to suggest bobs red mill, but it looks like Amy beat me to it. Winco sells their products and the factory is located in Portland. You could stock up on gluten free products there. They sell it in bulk or by the bag.
ReplyDeleteMy friends have said once they changed their diet to gluten free it took care of so many other issues. I hope that works for you too.
Take care!
Lissa
Bob's Red Mill is in Milllwakee, Oregon not far from the Portland airport. It's a great place to visit and get items in bulk for a cheaper price.
ReplyDeleteThey have a great website you can order on line.
I'm so glad they discovered what is going on with you! And the gluten free may make you feel a whole lot better really fast! Thank God!
ReplyDelete