So, we are almost there...gluten free that is. I personally have gone gluten free, but we are all working on getting there. I first have to get the kids tested before they can go off oof gluten. I am highly suspicious that Jade has celiac like I do. Having the whole house go gluten free should make life a whole lot easier (and healthier too!) I would do it now, if I could; you have to be eating gluten for at least three months before you can be teseted for celiac or gluten sensitivity, so I am keeping the kids on it until they are tested (which they have an appointment for.) I am having them tested because it is often genetic and they are 1 in 20 likely to have it since I do.
I am very eagerly diving into my new gluten free life. It is not as hard as most people might think, at least now that I am properly informed. One major piece of information that I'll share with everyone is this: there are two types of gluten-free eating one is replacement and one is nutritional. I found out that the people who go gluten free, but only substitute the wheat(barley & rye)-filled items with their gluten-free counterparts they are filling up on completely empty calories. The gluten free alternatives lack the protein and other nutrients that make wheat, barley and rye healthy.
When you eat gluten free with only the ocassional (gluten-free) bread (pasta, etc.) you are eating much better and will be much healthier because of it. A basic rule is "if man made it, don't eat it" (I've read this in multiple books.) Also, when you do eat things like bread, go with the healthiest version you can find. I've learned all kinds of information about grains I've never even heard of that are nutritionally brimming with good stuff. Historically speaking, if you eat like the hunter-gatherers of the past (lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables and many of the ancient whole grains that are widely available, you are eating the healthy-style gluten-free diet.
One other thing, I know how delicious those gluten-filled goodies can be, but I am slowly finding many things that I like even better and I highly recommend that everyone go gluten-free. I know, I know...sounds crazy right? But seriously, from all the reading I've done, I have found that 1 in 133 people have problems with gluten and don't even know it. I've also learned that since the grains containing gluten haven't been in the human diet for very long, the human body has yet to adapt to it, casuing our bodies to react in not so fun ways.
There are many books that have good arguments for everyone to go gluten-free, my favorites so far are Living Gluten Free For Dummies and Gluten Free Cooking For Dummies. I don't consider myself a dummy or anyone who may have actually read this far into my blog one either, but these books are written for us that don't have PhDs in science or medicine or understand the lingo in most other books. I not only recommend reading these, but challenge you to. You might even consider a gluten-free life yourself after you do.
Wow so much to learn but it's sounds great. I'm sure you are feeling better going gluten free. Thank goodness for Bob's red mill
ReplyDelete