Friday, October 29, 2010

My First Attempt At Canning

I rececived six containers of unsellable strawberries yesterday. These were unsellable because some were bad in the containers, but after cutting off bad spots I ended up with a large bowl of them. I crushed them up and decided to make jam. After all the boiling jars and lids, preparing the jam, filling the jars and boiling them, I had a bit of a mess in my kitchen. A very sticky mess to be exact. But, I had a lot of fun doing it so I think I may try it again. When I woke up this morning, the "jam" still hadn't set (but they did seal), so I figure that I now have four large jars of strawberry syrup for pancakes, ice cream, and whatever else.

I can say that it was messy, I can say things didn't go exactly as planned, I can say that I am seriously thinking of investing in a pressure cooker canner and smaller jars, and I can also say that a canning funnel would have been a big help, but even if things weren't ideal I really want to do it again. I also think that with my Celiac, canning will not only be a healthy decision but also a good investment in my wallet. I don't really have a whole lot on my Christmas list, but canning stuff is definately one of those things.

If anyone has ever considered canning, I do recommend it. I also recommend that if you do it that you not have a bunch of hyper kids that just got home from school in the kitchen while you are doing it. The last thing I can say is that a canning funnel, though not necessary, is a VERY good idea; trust me, I had sticky strawberry goop all over my stovetop because I didn't have one. But overall, a fun experience. Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good work Bridget.
    Sometimes it takes several days for the pectin to set.
    And when they say one batch at a time they mean it.

    Like you said if it doesn't set you have great topping.

    The thrift stores and garage sales are a great place to find your canning equipment. Also the end of canning season when they switch over to season items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not yet to the point where I want to let go of my pressure canner, but I have a cold pack canner I will let you have, if you you want. I have been using a large stock pot that holds 4 quarts lately. The 7 quart cold pack canner is great for larger jobs and will suffice for almost anything other than meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the encouragement! I really did have a lot of fun. Aunt Shelley-thanks for the advice, I was wondering if there was a better time to look for equipment. Grama-I would love to have your cold pack canner! The pot I have is not a very good one. I'm very excited to try again!

    ReplyDelete

Family and Friends