Thursday, June 18, 2009

Life is Constantly Changing

Life is constantly changing. That is especially true once children are in the picture. The last 2-3 years has come with so many changes that I couldn't possibly go into that list. Just in the past 6 months, we have moved across country. That, was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I don't want to get into details, but I had to move without the kids. After a while, they came back to me.

Every little change in life takes a bit of time to get used to. Getting used to my children not being in the house was no easy task. It was kind of like getting used to a weekend on Sunday night, and then it's the work week again. I didn't ever fully "get used to" them not being here, but I got into a routine that involved cooking and cleaning for two. Then I had to change back. Needless to say, going from two to five overnight, takes a bit of time to adjust to. This change didn't take too long, but this time away from me has changed them more than I imagined it would.

The kids have been home with me for around two months now, during which time Hannah finished out her first year of school. Having them back home took no more than a week to feel normal again. I got used to coooking bigger meals, doing the laundry of five people, getting up early and getting Hannah ready and off to school everyday, and so on and so forth. Now, school is out for the summer and I am having to change my routine for that.

Today, is Hannah's second full day of summer vacation and she is already asking me to go back to school. I'm so happy that she enjoys it as much as she does. This summer will be filled with lots and lots of "practice work" for her to keep busy. I am also, working very diligently, to completely clean out the junk and unneeded items in my home. (It is amazing how much a family can aquire.) All these things, are not in my normal routine and therefore, take manipulating to fit. I am taking one day at a time, trying to put all the necessary parts into my life. I will say that I don't get everything done; I don't come close to that, but I do make a list each day of the things that I hope to get accomplished and most of the time finish that.

I live by a few mottos. One is, everything happens for a reason. Another is, only do what you can. I used to go crazy when I didn't finish my daily list, and then I realized that was not solving my problem by letting this bother me. I have come to terms with the fact that I can't change the little things that come up everyday, but I can learn to work around them. They say that the best laid plans always change. I most definatly believe that.

I have to remind myself every once in a while not to fret over things. Like everyone else, I am far from perfect. Remember, every day is a new day. Some days, the best thing to do is relax with your family and friends and let the housework wait. My favorite motto to live by is: family and friends won't always be around, but housework will. Housecleaning and other chores of course have to be done, but the best looking house is one with loved ones in it having a good time. Don't stress about the little things. Take a break when you need it. Without fail, laugh everyday. Life may change like a river, but go with the flow.

I hope everyone can find just one thing to smile about. Smiling is the best medicine for any ailment in life. :)

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said.

    Your children are only home for a short while.
    Enjoy them when you can.

    Some summer ideas for kids.
    Maybe Hannah can teach her siblings what she learned in school.
    I use to keep a box of paper, crayons, etc.. in the hall closet for my girls to get into when ever they wanted. They just had to put it back in the box when they were done.

    My girls loved playing in the sprinkler in the backyard on hot days.

    We would pack a lunch that they help make "peanut butter and jelly" and we would go to the park and they played for an hour and we would come home.

    Sometimes they would take a nap.

    Once a week we would go to the library and check out video's like the anne of greengable series and books.

    So after lunch they would be reading or watching something educational or wholesome.

    That gave me a break to do somethings like prepping dinner.

    I would take them to pick blackberries and we make a pie.

    The other thing I did was take them to every vacation Bible school in town. That way they had play time with other kids and learn some good things too.

    ReplyDelete

Family and Friends