Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Kids Are Making Me Feel Old!

The weather outside doesn't really know what it wants to do. It is a bit breezey it keeps getting overcast like it's going to rain and then goes completely clear. Needless to say, the kids played outside for a short time and we are now inside. I decided that I would introduce them to my old Nintendo system. (Yes, I still have one.) Anyway, they started out on the game called "Caveman Games". This was fun for them because they figured out how to club the other players and thought it was funny to see the stars over their heads. Following that ws Tetris. They thought it was fun to watch me play, but could not quite figure out how to do it themselves. Finally came the old standard: Mario Bros. This was their favorite.

While setting up the system and putting in each game, they had the most confused looks on their faces as to what in the world I was doing. The questions flooded the room. “Why do you have to blow on it?” “Why do you have to keep taking the game out and putting it back in?” “Why does it blink like that?” and my faorite: “why do we have to go all the way back to the beginning when we die?” My answer for most of these questions was the same: “this is how we had to do it when we were kids. The games get worn out and old and this is how you make them work.” The part on having to start all over was a bit hard to explain, because it involves the system’s memory and that back then, the systems didn’t have the capabilities that current systems do; but I managed.

I can’t tell you how old they are making me feel when they ask why you can’t save your game or change the settings mid-game. It is what it is, and it was high-tech back then. Not that I think I am old or anything, they are just good at making me feel this way. It amazes me how things change in such a short time. All these game systems there are now. Nintendo was basically the only choice I had growing up, and that was a luxery! I remember thinking how cool “Oregon Trail” was to play on the computer at school.

I am busy cleaning up and out, my kitchen. After cleaning out the fridge of old leftovers that didn’t get eaten, I took it apart and cleaned all the shelves and drawers. I plan on going through and reorganizing my cupboards next. I do this often because it helps me make my grocery lists. I am also trying to get creative with meal ideas since money is tight. (Any suggestions are more than welcome.) Normally, navy bean soup with ham hock in it is reserved for the winter months, but since we had everything for it, that is what we had for dinner last night. It was good.

I have been experimenting with the different canned goods that I received from my very gracious aunt Shelley. The kids are very much enjoying the plum jelly on their sandwiches and sliced pears they get for lunch. I am hoping to make some spaghetti sauce from the canned tomatoes next. I am anxious for this, they look so good in the jar. We are also savoring the wonderful chocolate that my thoughtful uncle Rick brought back for us from Germany. (If I haven’t thanked you, than I am now. I really appreciate that you thought of us on your trip.)

It really is amazing what you can create in the kitchen. It’s also amazing how much variety you can find in the deep dark corners of cupboards. I think we are going to have turkey enchiladas tomorrow. After I eat and get the kids bathed and into bed, I think I will be going outside and cleaning out my car. Chris has been using it for the last week because it gets better gas mileage than his huge truck. I am anxious to have my vehicle back this week. (I don’t like to use his unless it is an emergency because it’s so large.) I still haven’t heard from the doctor, but I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they have received my test results.

Have a good evening everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Cooking can be fun You can do experiments and see how they turn out asks Aunt Shelley about her Fridgerator Soup some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridgett glad your food experiments are working out.
    Those Turkey enchiladas sound great.
    Hope your results are good ones.
    Love, Aunt Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Family and Friends